Recent Department Actions
Coming Fall 2021: Religion, Race, and Ethnicity Major and Minor
Faculty participate in the College of Arts and Sciences Cost of Hate Series
Recent Publications in race and religion:
Dr. David Kline
- Racism and the Weakness of Christian Identity: Religious Autoimmunity (Routledge, 2020)
- Embodiment and Black Religion: Rethinking the Body in African American Religious Experience with CERCL Writing Collective (Equinox Press, 2017).
- “Observing Whiteness: The System of Whiteness and the Religious Fantasy of Absolute Immunity” Social Identities: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation, and Culture, September 2020.
Dr. Larry Perry
- “Beyond Black Churches: Understanding the Black Spiritual Left as a Black Counter Culture.” The Acorn Journal: Philosophical Studies in Pacifism and Nonviolence—forthcoming.
- "Religious Progressives Must Hold Biden's Feet to the Fire on Race in America"
Religion and Race in America Podcast Series
In this podcast series, David Kline interviews scholars in religious studies who are doing important, interesting, and innovative work on the intersection of religion and race in America
This series, hosted by Larry Perry, focuses on issues of race and inequity in America, with episodes centering on civic and corporate entities’ engagement with racial justice, including (1) healthcare inequality amid COVID-19, (2) environmental justice and carbon emissions in Black communities, (3) corporate responsibility in the era of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, and (4) the role of religion in the Black Lives Matter Movement.